Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Week 3 Harkins

How to Write a Sentence

Mr. Fish presents an interesting view of grammar in this chapter. Instead of teaching grammar in the traditional manner of memorizing the parts of speech and their uses, he says to memorize the relationships between words and then add on descriptions of the basic sentence. It seems to me that grammar is important but should not be the focus when writing a sentence. The focus should be to say what you want to say and once that is able to be done well, get into the nitty-gritty of the details of parts of speech. I was pretty familiar with his terminology throughout and his perspective, at first glance, was very new and seemingly radical. However, as I thought about it, my own grammar education started that way but heavily involved learning the parts of speech in conjunction with it.


Craft of Research

The Craft of Research brought up many concepts with which I am familiar. I had to start writing reports in elementary but they followed only the basic format of three paragraphs with an introductory and concluding paragraph with topic sentences and closures in each. I started writing real formal reports my sophomore year in high school where we had to write very academic essays about various topics of our choosing. Later, in my senior year, I learned how to look up and use secondary sources as previously, I had used only previous texts from the class or reasoning in support of my arguments.

No comments:

Post a Comment