Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

55 Word Stories

These are some very short stories I found while looking through the plethora of unfinished works that lie waiting in my cache of documents. Each story is only 55 words long. The first sentence is 10 words, the second is 9, and so on until it ends with a single word. It was a really fun exercise and I'm rather impressed with how they came out. I especially like The Light Next Door because there seems to be more of a story there than in Fairy Dances, though that is much closer to the kinds of subjects that I normally focus on.

Fairy Dances
The fairies danced upon the flower’s petals as I watched.
Twirling in the air, they looked like shooting stars.
I wanted so to join their lovely dance.
But I didn't know how to ask.
So I simply watched and longed.
Then, they saw me staring.
They stopped and whispered.
One flew close.
She laughed.
Twinkling.

The Light Next Door
Light shines from the lamp in my neighbor’s upper bedroom.
I've never seen anything in that room before tonight.
It intrigues me so I move in closer.
Perhaps he’s rented out the extra space.
Heaven knows he needs the money.
But why wait so long?
I don’t really know.
I should ask.
Shouldn't I?
Nevermind.

No comments:

Post a Comment