Pages

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Be Strong, My Child, and Fear No Nightly Noise

In honour of my good friend Sara's graduation, a wonderfully insightful and talented writer and blogger, I wrote the following sonnet. Can you find the allusions to George MacDonald and J.R.R. Tolkien? In the words of Bono, "Every artist is a cannibal / Every poet is a thief" and I only steal from the best.

Be Strong, My Child, and Fear No Nightly Noise
Be strong, my child, and fear no nightly noise.
They are but shadows, clawings of the Ash
And whispers of the Alder who destroys,
Desiring all to hunger, rage, and gnash.
But in you, child, there beats a heart of gold
As pure as laughter from a baby's lips,
As bright and warm as fire in places cold,
As precious as the desert dew that drips.
So sing, my child, and make your presence known;
Beat back the goblins with your foot and song;
Let blaze your light and they are overthrown
For courage, kindness, goodness make you strong.
Go now, my child; adventure waits for you.
Remember me and say a prayer or two.

1 comment: