Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

He Still Appears Like Echoes In My Mind - A Sonnet

Here is that sonnet I mentioned in my last post. I woke up one morning having the first line of a sonnet perfectly in my head and, because I didn't immediately write it down, all I could remember by the evening was "like echoes in my mind." It comes from the idea of when someone keeps coming to mind when you've tried to put them behind you. Enjoy!

He Still Appears Like Echoes in My Mind

He still appears like echoes in my mind,
Awake, asleep, at times inopportune.
A bond unbreaking, fates perhaps entwined,
From likened cloth, perchance, were we both hewn?
Has he become a spectre, closely tied
To earth, to me through ling'ring memory?
Refusing to release what was denied,
Have I thus cursed ourselves with devilry?
Farewell, my love. Forever now, adieu.
I shall release thee as thou dost deserve
For each man's soul shouldst not be bound anew
When once it has been freed from sin to serve.
May God forgive me for my selfish wish
To keep thee near instead of suffer anguish.

1 comment: