Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Looking Back and Looking Forward

So I was hoping to have a finished project for these posts but it seems that that will have to wait for now. I started writing the following poem New Year's Eve so that's why it starts the way it does. However, it has become more of a reflection over how I've viewed my past year and then hopes for the one to come. I'll get to the hopes part next time. For now, I hope you enjoy and may this be the beginning of a beautiful tradition.

Looking Back and Looking Forward

Upon this dark'ning night, we wait
For the year to end,
For the new its way to wend
And memories create.

What should I say upon this day,
The last now of the year?
Should they be silly or words sincere
Or hold the tears at bay?

Yet are there words enough to hold
All the thoughts and hopes
That crossed and held like binding ropes
My life as then untold?

My words run short; my mouth runs dry;
My speech is taken from me
As I recall quite suddenly
The things I did not try.

I failed to love my neighbor
As fully as I ought;
Next to mine, their needs forgot
And for myself did labour.

I failed to love and serve my God
With true obedience,
Had acted with indifference
Towards what should have awed.

So here I sit with head in hands
Ashamed of what I've done.
Consumed with only having fun,
I shirked divine commands.


No comments:

Post a Comment